200 N. Plum Grove Rd.
Palatine, IL 60067
Immanuel Lutheran Church began in February 1869 when eleven families met on the platform of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Palatine to consider forming a Lutheran parish in the community. One week later, the congregation of Immanuel Lutheran Church was formally organized. Immanuel purchased a church building on North Plum Grove Road from the Disciple’s Church. This is the current site of Immanuel’s school.
In 1914, a new church building was constructed on the corner of Plum Grove Road and Wood Street. A small two-story brick school was built in 1926. Anticipating future expansion, the property at the corner of Wood and Bothwell Streets was purchased in 1946. In 1957, the groundbreaking for the current two-story school building was held.
In 1955, property to the north of the school was purchased from the Salem Evangelical United Brethren. It is now the site of our current church building and was dedicated in 1970. In 1978, a gymnasium, meeting rooms, cafeteria, and additional educational facilities were built to replace the 1926 building. In 1989, the Middle School classrooms, church offices, Discipleship Center, and Fellowship Hall were added.
Besides school and church services, on any given week Immanuel plays host to a variety of events, from meetings to weddings, bridal showers to Community Meals. With such constant use, our classrooms and common areas have begun to show their age. Immanuel’s volunteer Properties Committee has undertaken the task of refreshing our facilities, starting with the phased remodel of the main entryway and hallway from the parking lot to the front entrance from Plum Grove Road, Fellowship Hall, and our oft used meeting space, Hebrews Room. Along with these areas, work has begun on updating and modernizing classrooms in our Early Childhood and Elementary School classrooms. All of this being done to create a welcoming environment for visitors and modern facilities for learning.
School Safety and Security
At Immanuel, your child’s safety and well-being are our primary concerns. We recognize that our building is your child’s home away from home.
School Safety Features:
- • Entrances to classrooms locked
• Security background checks on staff and volunteers
• Safe carline dropoff and pickup procedures
• Annual bus evacuation drills
• Fire drills, tornado drills, and lockdown drills
• A designated crisis center
• Playground equipment that meets state safety standards
• Air-conditioned classrooms
• Palatine Fire Station located 3 blocks from school
• All staff trained in first aid, bloodborne pathogens, CPR, and AED (defibrillator) use
Our Building Security Features:
• Parents and visitors enter only through the main entrance of the building.
• Visitors must check in at the office when they arrive and be escorted to their designated location in the school.
• Parents and other school volunteers receive a security badge with access to school hallways during school hours.
• Children are only dismissed to their parents or designated caregivers.
• Codes of conduct based on Christian values assure a safe and welcoming environment for all children.