Who We AreOur Mission, Vision & History
The mission of Immanuel Lutheran School is to partner with families to equip children for life-long learning and service through a rigorous academic program in a nurturing, Christ-centered environment.
The vision of Immanuel Lutheran School is that each child becomes a fruitful member of Christ’s Kingdom in their community.
On February 20, 1869, eleven families met on the platform of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in Palatine to consider forming a Lutheran parish in the community. One week later, the congregation of Immanuel Lutheran Church was formally organized. Pastor Roeder of Dunton (now Arlington Heights), conducted the service. One year later, four acres west of Greeley Street were purchased for the purpose of building a church and a cemetery. The cemetery, which until recently was maintained by Immanuel, was formally dedicated. However, the lack of funds made it inadvisable to build a church on that site. Therefore, the remaining land was sold to one of the church’s charter members for $2,000. With this capital Immanuel then purchased a church building on North Plum Grove Road from the Disciple’s Church. This is the current site of Immanuel’s school.
In 1914, a new church building was constructed on the corner of Plum Grove Road and Wood Street for $29,000. A small two-story brick school was built in 1926. Anticipating future expansion, the property at the corner of Wood and Bothwell Streets was purchased in 1946. In 1957, the groundbreaking for the current two-story school building was held. In 1958, Immanuel volunteers built a new parsonage to replace the one that had been built in 1898. This home, located at 403 N. Plum Grove Road, was sold in 1988.
In 1955, property to the north of the school was purchased from the Salem Evangelical United Brethren. It is now the site of our current church building and was dedicated in 1970. Once again anticipating future expansion, the property on Bothwell Street behind the present church was purchased in 1968. In 1978, a gymnasium, meeting rooms, cafeteria, and additional educational facilities were built to replace the 1926 building. In 1979, the annex property located across Wood Street was obtained. In addition to parking, there is a building on the lot. This building currently houses the clothing bank and food pantry for Immanuel’s Good Samaritan Ministries, which was founded in 1983. In 1989, the Middle School classrooms, church offices, Discipleship Center, and Fellowship Hall were added.
The Immanuel family has gathered for more than 150 years to worship and to celebrate the Lord. Today, the congregation continues to strive to meet the needs of the Palatine community and surrounding area.