Members of the American Heritage Girls (AHG) Troop #IL0412 participated in AHG’s National Service Day project by helping Immanuel Lutheran gear up for its annual Operation Christmas Child project. Immanuel is collecting shoebox items year round and there were several things that needed to be done. The girls tackled the tasks with enthusiasm. They
- Counted, removed tags, tracked and boxed donated items
- Assembled fishing kits and jump ropes
- Sized and bagged socks for easy packing during the Community packing party on November 5
When asked about the National Service Day project, Trephina Bedell, Immanuel’s Children’s Ministry Coordinator, was quick to point out that, “it wasn’t just a one shot deal. AHG girls work on Operation Christmas Child (OCC) projects all year long. They even made their own “how to pack a shoebox” video last year in Immanuel’s AV studio. To see them enthusiastically embrace the behind-the-scenes, but necessary, tasks that they completed for National Service Day is heartening. They are growing in their serving. Their contributions really help propel Immanuel’s OCC efforts.” Immanuel invites the entire community to participate in those efforts in four ways:
1. Donate! Drop off donations at Immanuel by Wednesday, October 31 at 2:00 p.m. Items donated will be used to pack boxes at the Community packing party on November 5. See Immanuel’s website for a list of accepted items.
2. Help Pack Boxes at the Community Packing Party on November 5 from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.!
3. Pack your own box! Immanuel is a shoebox drop-off location again this year. Pack your own box and we will send it to the OCC processing center. National Collection Week is November 12 – 19.
4. Become a volunteer! Help with the packing party or National Collection Week. Please contact Trephina Bedell at email@example.com for more information!
About American Heritage Girls
American Heritage Girls is a national organization that focuses on developing young women, embraces Christian values, and encourages family involvement. It helps girls learn skills that will help them in all areas of their lives…whether this is how to use a computer, learn about their ancestors, how to fish, or even what it takes to be an astronaut. Contact Trephina Bedell at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about AHG at Immanuel.
About Immanuel Lutheran
Immanuel Lutheran Church and School, a fixture in the Palatine community for nearly 150 years, offers a variety of programs and services to the people of Palatine, as well as weekly worship services. Immanuel is located at 200 North Plum Grove Road (at Wood Street) in downtown Palatine, just two blocks east of the Palatine Metra Train Station. To volunteer or for more information, please visit ImmanuelPalatine.org or call 847-359-1549.